We are providing this Studio Policy as a means to clearly identify conduct, rules, and policy at On Chord Academy.
There will be 4 lessons every month. Your monthly fee guarantees 4 weeks of lesson time. The fee will remain the same for months with 5 weeks. If a month has 5 lesson days, there will be no 5th lesson, unless you are making up a lesson that was appropriately canceled (following our cancellation policy).
We expect students to attend their scheduled lesson. Students should arrive at On Chord Academy at least 5 minutes early to have time to get their instrument ready and to get into an appropriate mindset. Students should also arrive with all lesson materials prepared. The studio shall not assume financial responsibility for student absences due to illness, weather, sports, etc. (see our cancellation policy)
Missed Lessons: If you have to cancel your lesson do so at least 24 hours prior to your lesson, by contacting your teacher. If you cancel at least 24 hours beforehand, you may be eligible for a makeup lesson based on the teacher’s availability (See make up lessons). If a student simply does not show up, or cancels the day of their lesson, the student is not eligible for a make up lesson, and the studio shall not be financially responsible.
The primary exception to the cancellation policy is in case of emergencies. An emergency is any situation that requires sudden and immediate attention. This includes medical emergencies, accidents, or death in the family. In the event of an emergency, the studio will attempt to schedule a make up lessons if at all possible.
Just like you, our teachers have a full schedule. If you have to cancel a lesson, and do so in accordance to our cancellation policy, your instructor will make every attempt to schedule a make up lesson. Make up lessons are primarily offered the last week of a 5 week month. Other available make up lesson times will depend on the individual teacher’s availability and discretion.
If the teacher is unable to be there for your lesson, they will be made up. The teacher will abide by the same 24 hour rule. The teacher will attempt to reschedule your lesson, and if that proves impossible, you will receive a credit towards the next month’s lessons.
The studio will not be open on the following holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years Eve, Independence Day and Halloween. If your lesson falls on one of these holidays we will reschedule your lesson for another day. The studio will be open for lessons on all other holidays, and we encourage you to attend the lesson you have paid for. If you are going to be out of town, please review our cancellation policy and let us know as early as possible to find an equitable solution.
Note that if your family takes extended vacations you may of course wish to discontinue lessons for that time period. We will not be able to hold your time slot while you are gone. If you wish keep your time slot you have three options.
- You can simply pay to keep your time slot, and attend as many of the lessons as you can. This is our least favorite option, but it is there if you need it.
- Skype lessons. If you are vacationing somewhere with Internet access, you may consider taking lessons over Skype. Each of our lesson studios has the capability to do music lessons online. You can keep your time slot and continue improving on your instrument.
- Summer Slam Courses (when available). On Chord Academy will be offering condensed lesson schedules, letting you take 3 months worth of lessons in only 4 weeks. You get 12 lessons in 4 weeks, and have 2 months off, while still guaranteeing your time slot when you return.
Lessons are prepaid. The monthly fee is the same every month and assures your half hour time slot is reserved for you every week. You are paying to reserve the teacher’s time, and a studio room once a week, whether you choose to attend or miss.
Tuition payments are due in full by the first lesson of each month. There are two billing options for lessons at On Chord Academy: We highly prefer you use automated payment through our online scheduling calendar. In extreme cases we can accept payment in the form of a personal check or cash.
- Scheduling Calendar – If you sign up for lessons through our online calendar or by phone, your monthly payment will automatically be deducted. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit and debit cards. The payment will occur on the anniversary of your first scheduled lesson. For example, if your first lesson takes place on the 5th, then your payment will be processed every month on the 5th.
- Personal Check – If you are cannot use a credit or debit card we can accept a personal check on a limited basis, made out to On Chord Academy. Full payment will be due by your first lesson of the month. If you miss payment for the first week a $15 penalty will be added to your monthly amount. Failure to pay by your second lesson of the month will be grounds for lesson termination.
If you wish to terminate music lessons at On Chord Academy, we require written notice 30 days in advance, delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org. On Chord Academy reserves the right to dismiss students due to: failure to pay, repeated failure to comply with studio and cancellation policies, theft or destruction of On Chord Academy property or that of its teachers and students.
The majority of progress a music student makes occurs during their daily practice. Daily practice is the surest way to guarantee consistent progress. We recommend students practice 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week in order to maximize the investment in their musical education.
We ask that you treat our physical location with respect and courtesy. Our school is still a work in progress, but we do everything we can to make it an accessible, clean, safe and pleasant environment. As you park, enter and leave school premises, please also be respectful of our neighbors.
We ask that you treat everyone you encounter through On Chord Academy with respect. This includes fellow students, teachers, and the staff as well as family members. Please keep noise to a minimum in the common areas.
Photos of students and excerpts of video/audio recordings may be used in On Chord Academy promotional material. Identifying information will be excluded, unless given express consent (e.g. for testimonials). Parent’s wishing to exempt their students from any published media may do so by sending a written exclusion request to email@example.com